On: Birth, Natural Parenting, and Push Back.
Date: April 2019
Background: Obstetrician gynecologist and author of “Push Back”.
- Tuteur argues that natural parenting (the encouragement to women to give birth without epidurals or caesarians and to breastfeed) is bad for women’s health and has little or no benefit for their children.
- Availability of c-sections has reduced infant mortality and improved mothers’ health.
- Benefits of breastfeeding may be overstated as well, lack of convincing long-term medical proof (in poorer countries, sanitation / bad water is usually more of an issue).
- The science behind some of the arguments in this podcast is not always clear.
- Laudable for argument to support a woman’s right to choose and avoiding inducement of guilt when preferring one option over another.