On: Stubborn Attachments, Prosperity, and the Good Society.
Date: August 2017
Background: Professor at George Mason University, the co-host of the blog Marginal Revolution, host “Conversations with Tyler” podcast, author of Stubborn Attachments.
- Growth is the moral key to maintaining civilization, promoting human well-being.
- Circular in a way, as growth is essentially redefined as well-being (healthy, happy, control).
- Not seen as a result of growth, but evidence of the wrong type of growth.
- Crony capitalism, bad regulations (education and building).
- Answer is in less / better regulations [right…].
- Stubborn attachment: attachment to individual ideas and beliefs, lack of longer-term vision.
- Preference for now, lack of regard for future, higher values.