On: Psilocybin, Psychedelic Therapies & Mystical Experiences
Date: January 2017
- Common experiences in usage of psilocybin:
- Beneficial impact lasts for reasonably long period after usage.
- During usage: sense of interconnectedness, authenticity / truth value.
- Psilocybin can act as anti-depressant by binding with serotonin re-uptake receptors.
- Similar to how SSRI drugs work.
- Potentially also drives growth of new neurons (breaking old connections, forming new).
- Can also help alleviate depression by deactivating the default mode network.
- DMN: self-referential processing, sense of self.
- Similar effects as meditation.
- Broadly reorganizes neuronal connections in the brain.
- Capable of changing fixed set points.
- Helpful in dealing with addictions.
- Dosage dependent.
- Low threshold of 5 mg; 20-30 mg (per 70 kg) may be sweet spot.
- Broad impact of psychedelics on brain activity.