On: Autophagy, Caloric Restriction Mimetics, Fasting & Protein Acetylation
Date: July 2017
- See Autophagy write-up.
- Autophagy is an evolutionary tool to remove damaged cell parts in response to environmental stress in a targeted manner allowing for regeneration.
- Fasting may be one of the mechanisms to bring about autophagy.
- May help in allowing the body to recover from stress, inflammation.
- Discussion provides a helpful reminder of difficulty in comparing mice trials to human experience in fasting:
- When mice fast for 2 days, they lose about 20% of their body weight…
- Spermidine seems to induce autophagy (as does caffeine…):
- Alternative for fasting.
- Investigate spermidine (natto, aged cheese, etc.)
- “Spermidine in health and disease”, Frank Madeo, Tobias Eisenberg, Federico Pietrocola, Guido Kroemer, Science, 26 Jan 2018, Vol. 359, Issue 6374.
Dry and technical, but helpful primer on autophagy.