On: How to thrive with type 1 diabetes and how everyone can benefit from the valuable insights.
Date: February 2019
- See type 1 diabetes write-up for details.
- Insulin is the master regulator:
- Many of the major steps of protein metabolism are influenced by insulin.
- In the presence of insulin: you’re putting more glycogen into skeletal muscle.
- In its absence: you’re going to break them down.
- When insulin goes up, IGF-1 goes up (see SHBG write-up).
- High insulin, low SHBG, high free testosterone, high IGF-1.
- The Law of Small Numbers:
- If you consume more carbs, you need more insulin and therefore there’s a greater opportunity to make a mistake
- If you consume fewer carbs, you will consume less insulin and you’ll have fewer mistakes
Great primer on type 1 diabetes and how to manage it. Show-notes to the episode contain excellent charts, book recommendations and resource links.